Sunday, January 24, 2010

A unique Valentine Vase!

This is my first V-day related post, as I spent lot of time thinking of a unique idea for expressing my love to the hubby for this V-day, for it marked our third year together. I wanted something unusual and not very mushy, so came up with the idea of making a Valentine special vase from a glass bottle, and an old novel or book.  
Here is what I made
I wanted to use less of red and classic heart shape to make it a little different from other V-day Crafts..but couldn't quite keep off the red color. If you want to make something like this, all you need is a glass bottle, few pages off an old book(mine was a stupid novel), some red paint, and silver colored branches to glam it up! You can use any plain branches too, though..I colored them because my hands cannot be still when I see paints!!

It starts this way: Paint a glass bottle (or any vase, for that matter!) red. Keep it aside for drying.
Now for the flowers! I love books and though it was painful for me to tear pages from it, it was a good way to use an old stupid novel which I'd have thrown otherwise! Take an old book with yellowed pages, and rip a few pages from it. Draw flowers of desired shape and size (I made a 4-hearts shaped one and another shape at random) on the page on the top. Hold the pages together and cut according to the shape on the top page. This way, you can cut more flowers at once.
See, they are pretty! And bring in the classic look so well!
Now stick these flowers onto the painted vase with glue. These flowers would be very delicate so be careful while handling! I stuck them when the paint was still wet, so I saved glue, but the flowers absorbed some of the red paint too.
Here's the vase

Now for the decoration. I painted some branches metallic silver, and glued small paper flowers to them at random.
Easy Peasy! There, its a unique V-day craft that is out of the blue, and quite different. On the Valentine's I'll inscribe messages like 'love' and 'Be Mine' on the flowers and hang them again. 

Its almost screaming out 'Be Mine',  hope hubby likes it!
This was featured at

   

I linked this to

monogram


Photobucket




Get your craft on Thurs.



DIY Day @ ASPTL





14 comments:

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

this is such a fun idea!

Lafe's Hidden Treasures said...

Thank you for stopping by Lafe's Hidden Treasures/Treasures of the Heart, Mind and Soul...here is how I made the film disc flowers: Sonia, it was really pretty bassic. Gather twigs, paint them the color that you want. find buttons to fit the middle of the film disc, glue into place, then glue the stem on. Find a vase or add them where you want. Let me know if you have any questions.

~ Regan said...

Oh how cute!!
Usually- I don't 'do' Valentines day, but this I really like!! Great job on the flowers!

Melissa said...

I really love this.. my kitchen is done in red/black, and i have been looking for something to put in an odd shaped corner. PERFECT!

ch said...

Very sweet idea. Love the love note tree!

Sonia said...

~ Stephanie, Lafe, RM, Melissa, Cindy: Thank you so much ladies for visiting! I'm head over heels with all the appreciation by you people!

René said...

Very clever and I love the bottle you used.

EMBELLISH said...

I love this craft. You could use this idea in so many different ways. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

very cute! great idea and great way to recycle!

Lori said...

That is very lovely! I'm getting ready yo paint a vase if it will ever stop raining and being so windy! Thanks for following and joining my party!

Hoosier Homemade said...

Very pretty! I bet he loved it!
I hope you will link these up to my Valentine Party on Feb. 1st.
Thanks for sharing!
~Liz

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

This is very cool.. I love to use book pages too! I love the vase!

Andy Porter said...

That looks like such a fun project! Thanks for linking!

Andy
Poppies at Play

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

Sonia,
That is one awesome vase! So cool how you made the flowers! I'm so glad you joined the party. It was fun seeing your cute blog.
happy crafting!
Linda

Post a Comment

Make my day..post a comment for whatever you read, it will really be appreciated. Thanks for sparing some of your valuable time and stopping by!!